While we’re all waiting to hear the name of Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck’s new daughter, here’s a little distraction. I tallied up the most read Names of the Day from 2008. The results follow – a few are quite surprising!
Top Ten Boys
Four of the ten are single syllables – suggesting that it may indeed be one of the hottest trends in baby naming.
- Etienne This was the big surprise! Will French names catch on for boys, too?
- Aoyun The Olympic name attracted attention long after the games’ end.
Top Twenty Girls:
Girls’ name searches outrank boys’ name searches by more than 2:1. In other words, even the 20th most popular girls’ NotD had more hits than the 10th most popular boys’ post. That’s while you find twice as many girls’ names listed as boys.
- Esme She’s also the top search name for the site.
- Isla She’s right behind Esme on the search list.
- Tallulah Despite the flap over New Zealand’s Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii this summer, plenty of parents find this one intriguing.
- Natasha The First Daughter could inspire thousands of namesakes in the next few years.
- Annika Could she be the next Annabel?
- Octavia Hmm … three O names in a row! Are parents desperate to find substitutes for Olivia?
I can’t wait to see if any of these actually move up in the US rankings for 2008!