I thoroughly enjoyed compiling Rock’n’Roll Baby Names for Nameberry last week. This week’s list is equally edgy. Here’s a hint: Buffy is on the list.
- I haven’t seen Just Go With It, but I’m fascinated by the names. Nicole Kidman plays a not-so-nice character called Devlin. Brooklyn Decker plays a girl named Palmer. The 2011 film is based on a 1969 movie, which was based on an American adaptation of a French play. Up until now, Palmer’s character called was Toni. I’ve no idea why they opted for such an unconventional choice in the remake;
- Swistle posted a reader question about the name Story. Comments suggested Astoria as a formal name. I’m torn – Astoria is an undeniably pretty sound, but have you been to Queens? Then again, a less-than-idyllic setting hasn’t hurt Brooklyn;
- Which leads us to Nancy’s note about baby boys named Travolta. More than you’d think, less than you’d fear;
- From Nomes e mais nomes: which do you prefer Carolina or Catarina? It’s the kind of question that makes me want to say “twins!”
- Step into the Wayback Machine. In 2009, the featured name was Lana. Last year, it was Orla;
- I always enjoy her birth announcements, but this one really surprised me: For Real spotted an unusual combination, which just happens to be my cousin’s name;
- She also spotted Jaxlen McCade, Riggen Joseph, Brawk David, and Dash Ayden. Oh, and a Dollie Michelle. I adore Dolly as a nickname for Dorothy, but I think it would be tough to answer to Dolly at 25.
On to Hollywood. There’s been much chatter over Rachel Zoe’s new son’s name, Skyler Morrison. It’s not the stylish choice I would have expected, but what really stunned me was a comment in New York Magazine. The writer congratulated Rachel & Rodger on their healthy baby boy and “also for naming him normally. Baby names shouldn’t be trends.”
I’ll be curious to hear Rachel’s explanation for choosing the name. Maybe she’ll have the kind of backstory that makes me regret every snarky thought I’ve had about her choice.
In other starbaby news:
- The conversation of the week should really be this: How did Luca and Matteo become the sibset of moment? Top Chef’s top chef Tom Colicchio and wife Lori welcomed a son, Mateo Lev. Mateo joins big brothers Luka Bodhi and Dante at home. Impeccable Italian heritage picks, right? Masculine without going overboard, classic but not plain. Last month, E’s Kristin Dos Santos welcomed a son, Matteo Tomaz, a little brother for Luca Alexander. And Colin Firth and his wife Livia Guiggioli are parents to Luca and Mateo, too;
- TLC’s Design Star Vern Yip welcomed a daughter, Vera Lillian Beatrix. He and partner Craig Koch are also parents to son Gavin Joshua Mannox;
- Quarterback Eli Manning is a first-time dad. He and wife Abby welcomed a daughter, Ava Frances.
If you’re looking for more talk of celebrity births and general name talk, check out my Facebook page.
That’s all for this week. As always, thank you for reading!