Laissez les bons temps roulez, friends! By the time you read this, I should be home from a whirlwind trip to New Orleans to celebrate my mom’s 70th birthday. (Her birthday was a few months ago, but the logistics of getting us all together took a little longer.)
It’s a great town for #namespotting. One highlight? We walked through The Muses streets, where I admired Thalia and Melpomene, and, of course, Clio.
The second was visiting Lafayette Cemetery. We could only stay for a few minutes, but I collected plenty of names: Arelia, Eula, Ezola, Elma, Orliana, Larussa, Loftus, Abijah.
While we’re visiting New Orleans, I love this list of Mardi Gras Krewe of Rex historical names.
And just for fun: Cajun baby names! I don’t think anyone is really named Fay-Do-Do, but hey …
- I have a wild, crazy urge to binge watch Dobie Gillis, just for the names. Glynis, Leander, Aristede!
- Cleveland Evans makes the case to bring back Mildred. I do love Millie. But I’d bet on Millicent as the more likely comeback name to get us there.
- Not all place names are the same! A fascinating look at the difference between Brooklyn and Aspen at Baby Name Wizard.
- I found myself wondering if any babies will be named Astro, following the World Series victory by Houston. I’ve yet to spot one, but here’s a Zoe Georgia, her middle inspired by MVP George Springer.
- Oh, I really like Arden Mary!
- Kate covers Balthazar. I know it seems like a lot of name, but so do Sebastian and Alexander and lots of other boy names that rank in the current Top 100.
- A good reminder from Duana: traditional names aren’t the same for every family.
- Would you start your twins’ names with the same first initial? I really like Lark and Lola for twin girls.
- Oh, name quotes from Nancy! Always a treat.
- From the wayback machine: in 2016, we talked about unexpected nicknames for Eleanor. Two years ago, it was why it’s a great time to be a boy. And in 2014, we talked about great names from 90s TV.
That’s all for this week! As always, thank you for reading – and have a great week!