Is this the new formula for a celebrity baby name: noun + color?
Nah, probably not.
But we did see two names that fit the pattern this week. Singer Rachel Platten named her daughter Violet Skye – an ecovintage first paired with a mini, modern nature name middle. It’s lovely, but not super-surprising. Violet ranks in the current Top 100, and Skye is a middle we’ve heard quite a bit. This is the first child for Platten and her husband, Kevin Lazan.
Derek Jeter’s new daughter will answer to a bolder name, but built from the same framework: Story Grey. Plenty of celebs have embraced Story, for boys and girls alike, but it remains outside of the current US Top 1000. Grey ranks for boys, but feels a little more unisex and daring for a daughter. This is Jeter’s second daughter; he and wife Hannah are also parents to Bella Raine.
It’s always interesting when high profile birth announcements highlight trends. But I’d say Story Grey and Violet Skye both represent the kinds of names lots of parents are choosing, even if they don’t have Twitter followers galore.
- I’ve been watching the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s Rake because the main character is named Cleaver. It’s VERY dark and twisted, but I’m drawn in anyway. It turns out the character’s name was borrowed from a larger-than-life, but very real, politician named Cleaver Bunton. I’d send it to the Strangest Names in American Political History, but hey, he’s Australian. In case, you’re wondering, it’s pretty much un-used as a given name in the US. But in our Carter-Calvin era, with Rake in heavy rotation on Netflix, I wouldn’t be surprised to spot a few.
- Speaking of binge-watching, my daughter was interested in the Netflix reboot of Sabrina. But she’s definitely too young for it. Instead, we found ourselves watching the Melissa Joan Hart 90s version of the show. Suddenly, I’m convinced that Harvey is the sweetest name for a son. But is it too Weinstein? I do like a grandpa name for a boy …
- Welcome, Kensington Claire, named for a grandpa Ken. I love it!
- Ooh … and a baby girl named for Neal Cassady of On the Road! Welcome, Cassady Frances.
- Get ready for Super Bowl-related baby name stories, like this one. They’ve got a son named Brady, and now they’re planning to name his brother … Tom.
- This post at The Art of Naming is a good reminder that nearly anything goes in the middle spot.
- Duana, as usual, has the right answer to a challenging question.
- What uncommon names do you hear all the time? Interesting responses to this Q at Nameberry.
That’s all for this week. As always, thank you for reading – and have a great week!