Welcome to June! With the rising heat and all this sunshine, I have summer names on the brain. I wrote this post way back in 2008, but it still speaks to me today. Though I left my favorite Leo- name off the list: Leocadia. And really, I’ve always been attracted to the idea of remaking it into Leocadie.
While we’re talking summer names:
- Are night sky names the same as summer names? Not exclusively, but star-gazing feels summery to me. If you’d like something less expected than Luna or Stella, start here.
- Some of the meanings on this list are questionable, but there are some great choices here. Eliana’s meaning is a stretch, but it could be exactly the kind of summery choice parents are looking for this season.
- My list of June names from the wayback. Back then, I wrote that Juniper could be the new Willow. Now Willow is in the Top 100, and Juniper is galloping up the charts. Maybe it’s part of the June sound, and maybe it’s about tree names. But either way, they’re summery and very wearable these days.
- A list of French summer baby names, including Elouan for a son and Dahlia for a daughter.
- Swooning over Ysaline from this list.
- Theodora – could it follow Theodore and Thea up the charts?
- American parents, do you think it would be easier if you had more time to choose your child’s name? Like, say, 60 says instead of 48 to 72 hours?
- Ooh – charts! Baby Name Wizard makes the case that Biblical baby names aren’t booming.
- There’s quite the mix on this list of Bohemian baby names.
- Shakespeare really did come up with oodles of great names. Which reminds me, I’m curious if this new TNT series about the Bard – titled just plain Will – could boost all of those great literary names?
- Baby names inspired by Renault automobiles? This one hits close to home, as I have a snapshot of my daughter standing next to a Renault Clio.
- Excellent advice on name repetition among friends from Duana.
- On a similar note, Swistle has some good thoughts on what to do if you’re the parents about to repeat a name.
- Is the rise of Remy for boys in the US all about House of Cards? It’s on my to-binge-watch list this summer, and I noticed that the timing suggests it could be so …
That’s all for this week! As always, thank you for reading – and have a great week!