What an exciting opening round! The competitors in March Madness Baby Names for girls behaved more predictably than the boys – at least from my point-of-view. There were also more landslide victories in the girls’ opening round – four stunning defeats, versus just two for the gentlemen.
Here are the results:
- Top seed Elodie (#1) is still in the hunt, crushing Noa (#16) with over 75% of the vote.
- Rising favorite Everly (#2) also advances, smashing rarer-than-rare Pluma (#15) with better than 76% of the vote.
- This next one was too close to call for much of the week, but gentle nature name Wren (#3) ultimately won out over the literary Esme (#14) by around five points.
- Defending champ Cora (#4) is still alive, besting sentimental favorite Imogen (#13).
- This was a big upset: Southern belle Magnolia (#12) bested Tolkein-invented Eowyn (#5) with more than 73% of the vote.
- Girls helped take Lena (#6) to the victory over Nadia (#11).
- The Biblical Selah (#7) just bested the Dutch Anneke (#10) by a mere three percentage points.
- Lastly, Mira (#8) trounced Soraya (#9) with more than 76% of the vote.
If you’d like to catch up on past winners, you can read the Girls Opening Round post here.
Otherwise, let’s move on to the Quarter Finals!
The lovely, French Elodie (#1) faces the delightfully international Mira (#9)
Up-and-coming Everly (#2) takes on the overlooked Biblical gem Selah (#7)
Gentle Wren (#3) faces sassy Lena (#6)
Defending champion Cora (#4) faces the Southern botanical Magnolia (#12)