This is always the part of March Madness Baby Names that makes me the tiniest bit sad! The opening round is so full of possibility, and then … it’s the quarter finals and time to say good-bye to some favorites.
My favorites lost in five of the eight boys’ match-ups! Then again, the names that made it through are truly great, so it’s easy to imagine one of these eight names winning the whole tournament:
- Elliott (#16) easily upset the top-seeded Rafferty (#1).
- #2 Soren just squeaked by Atticus (#15), with less than a percentage point separating them. (Soren had 50.6% of the vote, compared to Atticus, with 49.4%).
- Emrys (#14) bested Koa (#3).
- Beckett (#4) crushed Cove (#13), with more than 77% of the vote – the biggest defeat this round. I can see Beckett running away with the whole tournament this year!
- Atlas (#12) carried the day, beating Cael (#15).
- This one surprised me! Shepherd (#11) won over Huxley (#6).
- Defending champion Everett (#10) just squeaked past Sullivan (#7). Everett had just under 53% of the vote.
- No surprise here – Finn (#8) defeated Fox (#9) with more than 70% of the vote. Fox is a great name, but Finn is well-established as a favorite.
Otherwise, let’s proceed to the match-ups for the quarter finals!
Up-and-coming surname name Elliott (#16) takes on Irish favorite Finn (#8).
The victors of our two closest opening round matches face off: Soren (#2) faces Everett (#10).
Fan favorite Emrys (#14) takes on gentle occupational name Shepherd (#11)
The literary Beckett (#4) faces the mythological Atlas (#12)
Voting is open through the morning of Friday, March 20th. Check back on Saturday, March 21st for the next round!