I’m beginning to realize that I can guess the baby names that people will shortlist for kiddo #2 (or #3 or #4), even if I only know the person casually. But I still can’t even begin to guess what someone will name their first child. We reveal a tremendous amount about ourselves with our choice for our first child’s name. Do you have that same experience?
Time for the weekly round-up of all things baby naming.
- Spotted via Project Nursery: a girl named August Claire. I’m in love with this site for namespotting. As much as I love August Claire on a girl, I think I might like August Clare for a boy even more. Thoughts?
- That reminds me, I occasionally nip over to Pinterest and re-pin names spotted on Project Nursery, Etsy, or out in the wild. The link at the top of my site isn’t working (yet), but you can find me here.
- I love variants more obscure variants of Elizabeth and Isabella, like Isabeau and Elisabetta. What do you think of Elizabella? Too much?
- Ava, Juno, and Rex is one of my favorite sibsets, ever.
- Solomon – not just for villains or kings. Or modern-day polygamist families featured on reality TV.
- I thought I loved this name at Nomes e mais nomes. Except I want to pronounce Caio like Kai with an o, or Cairo without the r. Turns out it is more like the television character Caillou, according to the pronunciations at Forvo.
- Let’s hear it for quirky.
- Anna and Stephen, we’re so excited about your twins! Hope everyone is doing well, and we can’t wait to hear their names. Really can’t wait …
- Are we afraid of short names for boys? Are parents really so eager for a formal version of Levi that they’ll consider Leviticus and Leviathan? I’m on board with elaborate, nickname-rich appellations, but those would not make my personal shortlist.
- Speaking of nicknames, I stumbled on this one in a Nameberry member’s signature: Jethro, nickname Jet. Does it work?
That’s all for this week. As always, thank you for reading and have a great week!
P.S. Did you know that when a name is highlighted – in this post or any other post here at AppMtn – it links to the Baby Name of the Day profile on that name? Happy surfing!