I’m fascinated by names, but equally intrigued by the process we use to arrive at a name. You can find countless real life conversations on message boards, but here are a few I spotted on parents’ personal blogs:
- Aidan at Ivy League Insecurities has a great list going for a third daughter, but my favorite is this quote from the comments: “Naming the baby is the highlight of pregnancy!”
- At Life of a Catholic Librarian, Tiffany has been debating saintly classics like Elizabeth and Peter;
- The Bullards, Collin and Candice, are considering everything from the mainstream Jack and Emma to Asher and Francie;
- And then there’s The Lil Bee, trying to name a second daughter. Her first is Devon Whitney. Here’s what caught my eye about Melissa’s list – she mentioned Cleo. And it got quite a good response.
In other news:
- Speaking of real life baby name choices, Nancy brings us the tale of a 1913 birth of a baby girl in a Pullman Car. The car’s name? Livonia. The baby’s name … Livonia!
- Six days ’til Christmas, and my to-do list seems to be growing. And yet I decided that Priority #1 was figuring out how to create a Master List of every name profiled on the site. I’m only half-way there – I finished the (shorter) boys’ list first;
- I loved Pam and Linda’s slideshow of The Best & Worst Celebrity Baby Names of 2010 at The Daily Beast. Abel and Cosima make the hit list, while Sundance and Kloey get the raspberry;
- PopSugar Australia voted Buddy Bear Maurice – also on Nameberry’s Not Hot list – the Most Memorable Celebrity Baby Name of 2010;
- ForReal Baby Names rounded up some twin names, including a pair called Lula and Stanley – love it!
- I keep hearing reports that the top baby names in Japan for 2010 are Ren and Yua. The source appears to be more like BabyCenter’s data than actual statistical records. Still, I find Ren fascinating – highly cross-cultural;
- Here’s a fabulous family tree: Kate Coil writes in West Virginia’s Bluefield Daily Telegraph about her ancestors, including sisters named Icie, Ocie, and Dicey!
In celeb news:
- While I was at PopSugar Australia, I realized that Jackie O had her baby – she’s a popular radio host in Sydney – Her daughter’s name is Catalina Mae, nickname Kitty. When I stopped by about 62% had given the name a positive review in the poll.
- Jay DeMarcus of Rascal Flatts is a new dad. Daughter Madeline Leigh shares a middle name with her mom, Allison. It’s reported that they’re calling her Maddy;
- Country music artist Josh Turner and wife Jennifer welcomed their third son, Crawford Marion. They’re calling him Marion. He joins brothers Hampton Otis and Colby Lynch at home;
- The musical Hanson clan is one bigger this week. Zac Hanson and wife Kate welcomed daughter Junia Rosa Ruth, a little sister for Shepherd.
I’m announcing more and more celeb births on the AppMtn Facebook page, along with Sunday Summary-esque links and comments.
That’s all for this week. As always, thank you for reading and have a great week!