Happy New Year! The holidays are always a great chance to catch up with people you haven’t seen for a while. I discovered an old friend is now dad to a daughter called Ada Maple. And I heard that several friends-of-friends and cousins-twice-removed are expecting. In every case, I made sure to offer my sincere congratulations before asking if they’d thought about names.
At least, I think I did.
Let’s start with something different: a reader question. What do you think of the name Ranger? There are a few possible ways the parents might use it. Check out the poll below, and feel free to leave a comment.
A few other boy-name thoughts:
- I’m curious to see The Green Hornet rebooted with Seth Rogen as slacker-turned-hero Britt Reid. Reed and Reid are both near their all-time highs for use in the US. If the movie is a hit, betcha we’ll hear them more;
- I’m also wondering if Britt could catch on for boys. It was also the name of one of the lead characters on short-lived FX series Terriers. Conventional wisdom says that Britt is a Scandinavian girls’ name, related to Bridget, as in Swedish actress Britt Ekland. But he’d fit right in with Gage and Cole;
- Along those lines, I raised the idea of Hale for a son over on the AppMtn Facebook page. I was mostly think of Kale/Cale when I asked the question, but Emily G. pointed out that Hale also conjures up Nathan Hale;
- ForReal unearthed a ton of new surnames and surname sound-alikes being use in the first spot. How ’bout Danner, Corbett, Deagan, or Whitten?
In other news:
- The continuing round-up of year-end baby names yielded one truly interesting list. Washington State’s TDN.com reported the top baby names at St. John Medical Center: Kaiden and Addison. Also epidemic in Longview, WA’s nursery schools? Karlee and Brycen;
- Speaking of surprising names, the first baby of 2011 for Florida’s Treasure Coast is a tiny girl with a big name: Le-Royalti Jacqueline Le-Grace. They’re calling her Pinky;
- And the Mitzi goes to … check out Elisabeth’s take on Celeb Baby Names 2010 over at You Can’t Call It “It”. Nameberry also weighed in on Celebrity Baby Names this year;
- I stumbled on this list of Hippie Baby Names. Juniper, Ivy, Sage – I’m on board. But Chai? I’m stuck – is it daring and wonderful or just plain bizarre?
- It’s so nice to hear Stanley get some love, even if it is mostly in the UK – for now;
- Jezebel’s article on gender-neutral naming is a bit off – I’m not sure the Canadian prof quoted everywhere really did his research, or maybe he’s only looking at few decades’ worth of info – but the comments are worth a scan.
A few celebrity babies arrived just in time to be up at midnight on December 31:
- Elton John is a new dad to Zachary Jackson Levon;
- Dierks Bentley welcomed a daughter named Jordan Catherine, a sister for Evalyn Day;
- And, of course, Alanis Morisette is a new mom to a son named Ever Imre.
That’s al for this week. As always, thank you for reading, and have a fabulous first week of 2011!