It was a week chock full of sassy, -ie ending girl names:
- Jessica Simpson named her new daughter Birdie, and a sharp reader suggested this post from Town and Country Magazine, explaining why Birdie is the new Muffy. I’m a sucker for X-is-the-new-Y kind of posts. But I think Birdie could have far broader appeal than Muffy.
- Posie is the most-viewed girl’s name at Nameberry for the first quarter of 2019. Lots of chatter last year around this time because it was a rumored name for Stormi Webster, Kylie Kardashian’s daughter. I adore Posie as a nickname for Mariposa, or even better, Josephine. But how do you spell it? Posy, Posey, Poesy, or Posie? And … is Posie the new Maisie?
- An update – and a compromise – on this Swistle question: Audrey or Nellie? They went with … Nell Audrey Mae. Just lovely.
- Jack and Olivia remain on top in Scotland. To continue our theme … Evie, Ellie, Millie, and Maisie are Top 25 for girls, with Rosie in the 26th place, plus Alfie, Archie, and Brodie for boys. But some of the fastest risers included Arthur, Luca, Grayson, Tommy, and Frankie, plus Ada, Cora, Lena, Bonnie, Rowan, and Amelie. Some great choices there!
- And rare names from Scotland, including Thor and Zuzu.
- Fascinating rarities from Harris County, Texas.
- Oh, I love this letter about the name Ursula, and I really do hope that they use it!
- Welcome, baby Ever!
- Another tale of family names and assimilation.
And, of course, if you haven’t voted in the final round of March Madness baby names, please do!
That’s all for this week. As always, thanks for reading – and have a great week!
Image by erwin nowak from Pixabay
Actually, I think Posie’s popularity might have less to do with Kylie K and more to do with Posie LaBrant, daughter of YouTube stars, Cole & Sav, who was born at the very end of December 2018. At only 3 mo. old, Posie already has 1m Instagram followers.
WOW! I didn’t know that, Emma – thanks. And that makes sense.