Fun fact: the first post ever published at Appellation Mountain was way back on January 23, 2008. Which means that I’m into my eighth year of blogging baby names, which is … more than I ever imagined.
Lately I’ve been finding fresh inspiration in baby name discussion forums. It feels right, because baby name forums are where I got my start – and met some of you that I’ve known since way back in the beginning!
It makes me wonder if – or should that be how? – all of this information and discussion has changed our baby naming decisions. I know that my everyday life has changed dramatically thanks to this brave new world. Netflix, Zipcar, Shutterfly and Snapfish, Amazon Prime, Target Cartwheel, the apps that I use to organize my son’s ice hockey schedule, plus those that manage our household finances, and, of course, this blog. My 60-something mother is Uber’s newest user, and while we may have been the last household on earth to discover Sirius, it has added a ridiculous amount of happiness to our daily routines.
I don’t have any answers or even guesses. It’s just a random thought that crosses my mind now and again, and I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Enough with the extended reminiscences! On to the name chatter:
- The Gerber Baby 2016 photo contest is over, and the winners have been announced! Isla, London, Drew, Hazel – it’s an on-trend pack of adorable babies.
- I find this question interesting. If you had a #1 name for a child that you didn’t get to use for years, but then finally had the chance – did it still feel right? Kate has an answer for a family expecting a daughter at last, after five sons. We know a family whose top boy name still fit perfectly, even though they’d chosen it several children and many years sooner. But I think the opposite feeling is equally common.
- Traditional names with atypical nicknames? This is my favorite category!
- I did not ace this quiz.
- 13 People Who Definitely Think They Know What You Should Name Your Baby. So true. I half expected a .GIF of my face to pop up as number fourteen.
- This post from Duana is just fabulous. The take-away? Duana has always had amazing taste in names. Bianca? Swoon. (Which reminds me – if you’re Canadian, her new book, The Name Therapist, is available for preorder! Americans, we will have to wait patiently, and/or appeal to Canadian-dwelling friends and loved ones.)
- A great round-up of stories about how babies got their unusual names.
- So many great names inspired by water. Why isn’t Caspian in the US Top 1000?
- I wonder if New Zealand is moving away from banning specific baby names?
- Pop culture names I’m crushing on lately: Hildegard, from Sofia the First, and Alessia, as in the singer.
- This list of Biblical unisex names is fabulous.
That’s all for this week! As always, thank you for reading – and have a great week.