In most cases, I can confidently answer yes. Of course, I’d have to have dozens of children to use up all of my favorite names. And getting my husband to agree? No guarantees there. But if I were holding a newborn baby in my arms, would I really be willing to write Leif, Caradoc, Rosemary, or Theodora on the birth certificate? Absolutely. And bold middles, like Swan and Lark? Yes, without hesitation.
But I know that many of us have different lists – names we’d actually use, and guilty pleasure names. Or maybe three lists, because I also have names that I love for someone else, but maybe not for my kids. Some of the names that I love for someone else are about first-last mismatches – I can’t bring myself to name a child Mariel Sandel.
And some are names that I like perfectly well, but
- This is what got me thinking about guilty pleasure names: I’ve liked Iolanthe for ages, and I was delighted to see it pop up in the extended Harry Potter family tree. Would I use it? I’d use Isabeau in a heartbeat, so why not Iolanthe?
- What do you think of Kathelianna? It’s the name that’s got this nana-to-be scratching her head.
- Speaking of family conflict, did you see this post at Swistle? Her advice is so spot-on. ” … you may need to again and again bring it back to this point: he is not allowed to make a decision on THIS child’s name without YOUR agreement.”
- This seems like a good moment to express K. and J.’s thanks for your compassionate, thoughtful comments on this post. The couple hasn’t made a final decision, but promises to keep us posted.
- On a lighter note, is Scotland the new Brooklyn?
- While we’re on the “is the new” theme, I’m calling Thelma the new … Nora, maybe? Or Sadie?
- The Medieval Top Ten, from the Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources. An intriguing list! I’m fascinated by Arnulf and Theodoric.
- I love seeing names used for boys and girls, like Wren and Rory. In a baby name discussion group, I recently saw a mom contemplating Italy for a boy. Love!
- Did you know that Matthew McConaughey’s brother has two kids called Miller and Margarita? And Miller’s middle name is Lyte? And, oh by golly, Matt’s big brother prefers to be addressed as Rooster? Read the rest here.
- Love the name Maristella!
- How much fun are these hurricane-inpsired sibsets from Nancy?
- LOVE the idea of Walden as a boy’s name.
- Emily digs into the names from the Stravaganza series. Now I really need to read these …
- Sophie has a great list of girls’ names outside the US Top 1000.
That’s all for now. As always, thank you for reading – and have a great week!