Have you voted in March Madness baby names yet? We’re down to the wire:
- Vote in the girls’ final, Marigold versus Eliza, here.
- And vote in the boys’ final, Arlo versus Rowan, here.
If you haven’t been following along, ever since 2011, we’ve held our own version of March Madness here at Appellation Mountain. (I hear there’s a bigger one, something to do with basketball, but I like this one better.) This is the very final round, with the names you chose facing off in the last big match-up.
And the contests? As of this writing, they’re close. So, as they say, your vote matters!
- Emily goes through Disney history to unearth some overlooked gems. Hello, Dinah! As if I needed another reason to love you.
- Has anyone ever changed your mind about a name with a single sentence? This post from Swistle instantly transformed how I see Sawyer. I also thought it was fine, maybe not a sound I could really warm to. But then I read this phrase: “a perfect name for a life we hope is filled with adventure … ” in this post, and I fell in love with the name.
- Want to send your name to the sun? You can do that …
- Or maybe name your baby something to do with the sun. That’s an option, too!
- What do you do when your all-time favorite name is everywhere by the time you’re ready to name a baby? Write to Duana, of course …
- This story! I went to college with someone who used the same middle name for her firstborn, and I’ve been in love with it forever and ever, for all the reasons the writer mentions.
- Oh, wait, and THIS story, too! How amazing are Hemingway and Gatsby as brother names?
- I tend to agree with this point-of-view about sharing your baby’s name if – and, of course, only if – you’ve decided. But I can argue this one back and forth for days …
I’ve saved the big news for last: Kate of Sancta Nomina is publishing her first book! It’s sure to be a must-read for Catholic families. She was kind enough to give me a sneak peak, and it’s tremendously thoughtful and creative. I can’t wait to get an actual copy in my hands, and I’ll be sure to share more as soon as I have more details.
That’s all for this week! As always, thank you for reading – and have a great week!