There’s a point every summer where it seems completely illogical that I’m not camped out on the beach, reading a book and watching my children cover themselves in saltwater and sand.
We reached that point last week, so hello from Rehoboth Beach, Delaware!
The namespotting isn’t extreme here – the urban parents in the wilds of Washington DC tend to be more daring – but I did hear Maddox and Lucy, and my ears are open …
Happily, when real life fails to provide exciting names to discuss, the internet never fails:
- Oh, it looks like KM Sheard had a much better time namespotting in France! Lilou is one of my favorites, and Aglae, Flavie, and Matisse all intrigue …
- Maybe Ruth was an old lady name when Rachel had her Friends baby back in 2002, but today she’s in the first stare of fashion, isn’t she?
- Then again, there’s Brunehilde – could you ever?
- And on the other hand, there’s Nancy and Beverly. No to Beverly – at least for me – but Nancy is a name I simply adore.
- I’m on my third or fourth hand, but while we’re talking “old lady” names let’s say this – Dorothy is officially back.
- Leaving that topic, let’s talk twins. Nancy’s revised list of boy/girl twin names is so much better than the original.
- Roses & Cellar Door’s post It’s Big Overseas is genius! Why don’t we hear Olga, Joachim, Tecla, Emil – or their equivalents? – in the US?
- Love this sister set: Ottilie and Esme!
- Duana gives the assist to parents naming baby #2. Big brother is Diego, and Dario is shortlisted if it’s a boy. But Duana is right – Diego and Dario are a matched set, without much opportunity for naming baby three. I’m always curious about situations like these, where the parents like a name, but it potentially sets a pattern that would be difficult to continue with future children – if there are any.
- Hmmm … what do you call Dardanelles for short?
- In favor of sharing your baby’s name before birth – very close to the way I feel.
Lastly, thank you for indulging me during my birthday week, while I chose the names, from the handsome Walton to the what-are-you-thinking Veruca. Looking forward to returning to regularly scheduled programming on Monday!
That’s all for this week. Thank you for reading, and have a great week!