I stumbled on a thread on a baby name forum the other day, discussing which names were too dated to ever consider. Some of them were predictable – Bertha and Hubert, you are destined to molder a little longer. But many, many of the comments included names that were undeniably back: Alice, Beatrice, and Eva for girls; Henry and Oliver for boys.
Earlier today, a comment on the Appellation Mountain Facebook page suggested that Vivian was too unusual to consider.
I’d describe all of those names as safe, mainstream possibilities. But to others, they’re crazy, outlandish choices – too different, too old, too … something.
Names fascinate me, but I’m equally fascinated by the ways we react to names – loving some, dismissing others, considering a few guilty pleasures. It’s all about finding a name we love that feels wearable for our children – but the names that hit that spot will be different for every parent.
Elsewhere in name news:
- Fascinating – and on point – thoughts about onomastics from an academic perspective in this interview.
- The discovery of new names does make every day like Christmas!
- Love the idea of Clarity as a modern virtue name. Bolder than Claire, less Pilgrim than Chastity.
- Have you read the Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman? It’s new to me, but I’m intrigued by the character names in her alternative version of the Italian Renaissance – Lucien, Silvia, Falco, Giuditta.
- I think Talitha is my favorite star name. Yours?
- While we’re looking at the night sky, I think Oberon could wear well today.
- This might be the best collection of name quotes from Nancy ever!
- A great collection of Beatles baby names. Lately, my heart belongs to Prudence.
- Is Liam just too popular to use? Duana says probably so. I’m not so sure. We know a grand total of two, one a toddler and one almost eleven. That’s not epidemic. But then, it’s certainly true that Liam has caught on dramatically in recent years, and there will definitely be many more Liams in the near future. So … maybe.
- How much do I love the modern Tris as a nickname for the classic Beatrice?
- Milo is fabulous. Though I think I’m partial to Miles.
- We all speak English, but it doesn’t mean that naming an Australian-American baby is a snap.
- Gone are the days of looking for pencils with your name on them in the gift shop. Etsy to the rescue!
- Nevermind babies. Want to name some storms?
That’s all for this week. As always, thank you for reading – and have a great week!