Apparently, name nerdery is genetic.
Her pretend name has also changed. For a while it was Kick. Now it is Sallie. I’m intrigued by the names she likes as a 5 year old, first because, hey, she’s my kid. But also because I wonder how the names we embrace as children inform the names we prefer as parents.
Speaking of unexpected name influences, have you seen the Ylvis video “What Does the Fox Say?” If you haven’t, I’ll spare you the confusion – it’s from a Norwegian comedy troupe, to promote their television show. Apparently it is big with the third grade set. So what does that mean for the given name Fox? He’s already risen in recent years, as boys’ names ending with x have been all the rage.
- On baby #13, running out of names … The first dozen are Ben, Stephanie, Caitlin, Harry, Eddie, Sid, Paddy, Oliver, Joseph, Libby, Anna, and Isobel.
- What a fascinating, scandalous story behind the Sydney Opera House! Anna raises the question of whether Eugene can make a comeback? I’m divided.
- Gilbert, on the other hand, seems rich with potential now. He’s on Lisa’s list of 20s names ready for a comeback. I’m fond of the nickname Gib, but Gil works, too. Or maybe Gibbs?
- Oh, the naming challenges for blended families. What would you call a little brother for Aiden and Asher? I love the idea of Axel, but as Swistle tells us, two is a coincidence, three is a pattern. I think I’d change my initial, too.
- I love it when people stop by to comment on posts – especially older posts – because it is their name – or their child’s name, or grandparent’s name. Did you see all of this information Montserrat shared on her name?
- From the wayback machine: the featured name in 2008 was Leo. In 2009, it was Nancy. A year later, we turned our attention to Wallace. We looked at Denise in 2011, and Avalon in 2012. The names suggested here are always surprising!
- Haven, Mairin, and … Solveigh? I’m not sold, and neither is Duana. I think her suggestion of Seren is brilliant.
- Nella – less expected than Ella or Bella, still very wearable. And more story than you’d guess.
- Lena and Luka are tops in Serbia. Love ’em both.
- Another L name that should be heard more: Lyra, with a great write-up by Isadora.
- Alex Mayhem, Arlo Bloom, Damian Thunder, Marcus Fate and plenty of other awesome middles in this post.
That’s all for this week – as always, thank you for reading and have a great week!