Her reaction mirrored the parents of so many Penelope-pre-Kardashian, George-avant-Cambridge, Luna-before-Legend babies. It mixes pride – because you thought of that great name first – and a groan. What if there’s a wave of same-named kids now?
When it comes to choosing an under-the-radar name for our kiddos, we’re all with Amy, hoping that our kids’ names stay just slightly unusual forever and ever.
With all the new data out earlier this month, plenty of families are feeling this for other reasons, too. Did your kids’ names increase in popularity, decrease, or hold steady? And how did you feel about the outcome?
- What do you think of Percy? I think it’s got plenty of potential. Except my brain? Goes immediately to these sugary snacks, which I just flat out love.
- Nancy found some of the unique names in the US state data. So surprised by Aero, Kinnick, Hercules, and … Lucifer!? And I do kind of love Kodiak …
- A good reminder from Swistle that there’s more than one kind of nickname.
- Oh, this quote from Rami Malek!
- Two important takeaways from Duana: first, if we’re cool with unisex names, then that really does mean that boys can have “girl” names and girls can have “boy” names and the world will continue to rotate on its axis. But equally critical: we name fans know lots of trivia that are NOT common knowledge. I’m bothered when someone names twins Jacob and James, or Isabella and Elizabeth … but then I have to remind myself that it’s because I know lots of things about names that are not necessarily common knowledge. There’s no real harm in using those name pairings. Likewise, many obscure names really are fair game for either gender – even if those of us in the know recognize their masculine or feminine origins.
- That said, I’m still dying to know what Blake and Ryan will name their third child. What goes with daughters called James and Inez?
- Which fandom influenced more parents: Harry Potter or Game of Thrones? Namerology has the rundown here.
- And a deep dive into Game of Thrones names from Mom and the Pie. Gwendoline, Fintan, Sunniva and lots of other cast and characters to inspire.
That’s all for this week! As always, thank you for reading – and have a great week!