Welcome to the end of (gulp) September. Can it really be?
The good news is that the new Drew Barrymore/Ellen Page flick Whip It hits theaters on Friday. I can’t wait to see it, first, because Roller Derby? Is cool. (And in the blood. My cousin S. skated for the Brew City Bruisers as Madam Bomb.) And second, because Page is once again wearing an unusual appellation – we loved her as Juno, and now she’s playing a girl called Bliss.
Back to the sum-up. First, it’s been a big week in starbaby news. We’ve welcomed:
- Charlotte Grace Prinze, a daughter for Scooby Doo alumni Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze, Jr.;
- Ellen Pompeo and Chris Ivery’s bat-tastically named daughter, Stella Luna. Okay, I’m stopping with the fruit bat. Because, as Corinne points out, there’s a lot of wacky in Hollywood – the kid could be Bandit or Peanut or Moxie Crimefighter. Or Stella Artois;
- Megyn Kelly of FOX News is a new mom to Edward Yates. Both names are in the family, and word is that they’ll be calling him Yates. Which seems very son-of-a-FOX-news-anchor to me;
- Then there’s Alijah Harden, a son for Alonzo Mourning and wife Tracy. Yup, it’s pretty much Elijah with an A. Why? So he would share initials with big brother Alonzo III (and dad, of course.) The family also includes big sister Myka Sydney;
- Julie Chen and Les Moonves welcomed Charlie, a son. No word on whether there’s something more formal on his birth certificate.
Some real life babies:
- I spotted a sibset over at Swistle that I just had to share: Mathilda Rosemary, Hazel Beatrice, Amalia Claire and new baby brother Jasper Franklin Louis;
- Bewildertrix reports the birth announcement for Bodee. Bodhi I get, but Bodee? And a Cejae. Which, I’m guessing, is an elaboration of CJ.
- In this week’s Toronto Star the unusually named is called Petal Branka, a little sister for Nikita, Indiana and Liam. No word on Nikita’s gender, but Indiana is a boy – I think. Petal was almost called Sawyer, Eva or Coco. The middle name honors grandpa Branko.
Elsewhere online, Nameberry snagged an interview with the civil servant who created the Social Security Administration’s Top 1000 list. And fueled my name obsession just a little more …
Lastly, if you find yourself with an idle hour or seven? Go to the GapKids homepage and check out the Casting Call. Yes, the kids are darling. But what’s even more intriguing? Their names! The Fan Favorite of the moment (you can vote) is Madisin-Simone. In fact, Madison is big throughout the contest. A few paces behind you’ll find everything from Edwin to Jaelin. Fascinating.
As always, thanks for reading – and have a great week!