The opening round of March Madness Baby Names is in the books!
As always, some of these results surprised me. Others were exactly what I’d guessed. (Or maybe even hoped!)
In just a minute, you’ll have a chance to vote for your favorite boy names in the Quarter Finals. But first, let’s take a look at the results.
We started with the sixteen most popular boy names on the site in 2019, excluding past winners of March Madness. The most popular name (Cove) became the #1 seed, and so on.
Here’s how it all went down:
- In a Cinderella upset, #16 Zev defeated the top seed, Cove, with almost 52% of the vote.
- Reid pulled off a win over Torin, with almost 55% of the total.
- With over 58% of the vote, Arrow flew past Ridge.
- Caspian edged past Wilder, capturing over 53% of the tally.
- In one of the biggest landslides of the week, Fox trounced Deckard, with over 72% of the votes going to the nature name.
- In another close contest, Archie commanded over 54% of the vote over Gray.
- Likewise, Koa won the match against Smith with 54% of the total.
- And then comes Hayes, the name that cleaned up with nearly 79% of the vote versus Credence.
And so we bid farewell to Cove, Torin, Ridge, Wilder, Deckard, Gray, Smith, and Credence.
We’re looking for just one boy’s name to join the winners’ circle. From 2011 on, past champions Nathaniel, Arthur, Archer, Everett, Finn, Theodore, Leo, Rowan, and Arlo.
Now it’s time to vote in the quarter finals!
ZEV V. HAYES
Zippy Zev or preppy Hayes?
REID V. KOA
Scottish Reid or Hawaiian Koa?
ARROW V. ARCHIE
Two A names face off
CASPIAN V. FOX
Two nature names compete in the last of the quarter-finals contests
Voting will remain open until Thursday, March 18th. Check back on Saturday, March 21st to see which names advance to the SemiFinal round!