To all the readers in the US, Happy Fourth of July! I hope you’re enjoying your holiday weekend.
Independence Day always takes me by surprise, because it’s officially the second half of the year. And it always feels completely not possible that we’re halfway through 2016.
But so it is.
Let’s take a look at the baby name news from the last week:
- Sisters named Georgette and Thomasina? Swoon!
- While we’re visiting British Baby Names, Elea has a great list of girls’ names with seamless ‘s’ endings. Possibly one of my favorite lists in ages.
- This new series at Nancy’s Baby Names sounds fab.
- I stumbled on a birth announcement for an Elsie Mae. I really do think that Elsie is the new Sadie.
- Sailor Stevie might be the most intriguing name I’ve heard recently. I can’t decide if I like it or not, though – it feels like a name with no place to hide.
- Duana examines the popularity of Kira. And Kyra. And Kiera …
- A fascinating question on spelling variations at The Art of Naming.
- Some interesting short baby names that could catch on. At least I think Dex, Fife, and Bea have potential.
That’s all for this week. As always, thank you for reading – and have a great week!
Request for more videos!! Also, it would be cool if you could co a blog post and/or a video about being confident as a “name nerd” (that’s what I call myself). I adore names and check your blog pretty much everyday. I’m one of those weirdos who read baby name books straight through (btw The Baby Name Wizard NEEDS to publish a new book! Her last edition was 2011!!! *gasp*…..or you could publish a book like that). Anyways, I just feel superrrr self conscious about my obsession and I don’t tell anyone but my immediate family. How do you do it??
Oh, Mary – that’s a really excellent idea for a video! And such a big question, because honestly? I struggle with it myself.
You must have some advice, running such a successful name blog and all. 🙂