Welcome to October! It’s cool and rainy and cloudy here in Washington DC. We’re grateful that the worst of Hurricane Joaquin missed us, and thinking of those of you farther south who are dealing with the impact.
On a lighter note, can I say how much I love the name Joaquin? I don’t enjoy hearing about natural disasters, but as storm names go, this one might have been the best of the season! Or could it be Odette?
Here’s the complete list for 2015, along with five more years. The names operate on a six year cycle, repeating until they are retired due to an especially damaging storm.
- Bloom, Laine, Lou, and Aria-Moon! Short, bold middles are the new normal.
- Primrose, Swyn, a boy called Eden George, and more than one Harriet. British Baby Names weekly birth announcement round-up makes me smile every time.
- Congrats to the Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources on the publication of their third edition! Belhonor is officially my new favorite extravagant middle.
- We talk about stands-out/fits-in names all the time, but the problems faced by Muslim parents are even more complicated.
- This is a great story about what it’s like to deliver while living overseas. And oh my goodness, I love the name Sander!
- Thanks for the shout-out, Geek Names!
- Rhode Island’s most popular baby names, circa 1867.
- If you’re not on the Facebook page, you’re missing such great conversations about baby names.
I don’t say it enough, but I appreciate each and everyone of you! Even when we don’t agree – or maybe especially when we don’t agree.
That’s all for this week! As always, thank you for reading, and have a great week!
Thirded! I never comment but I love reading your posts and especially the Sunday summaries. I’m expecting twin girls at the end of the year and you’ve given me lots of ideas 😉 Keep up the great work!
Of course! I thought it went without saying how much everyone loves
Appellation Mountain, what a highlight it is in our week and how grateful we are for
all the work that goes into it. But it’s better to say so, you’re so right, Hettie!
Thanks for being a part of my (our) week, Abby! I’m just going to assume I speak for all of us when I say we appreciate the work you put in bringing us such great features every day!