Every week there’s more baby naming news than a regular post can accommodate. So I’m initiating a new feature – the Sunday Summary. It will include starbaby updates, intriguing names I’ve heard out in the world, links to other sites, news about this site and, of course, news of the weird.
Here’s the Sunday Summary for 1/4/09:
- You may have stumbled across this last month, but apparently a couple caused a stir attempting to order a birthday cake for their son, Adolf Hitler Campbell. His sisters are called JoyceLynn Aryan Nation and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie. The family lives in Easton, Pennsylvania.
- Speaking of Easton, it could be the next big thing. First actress Elisabeth Rohm chose it for her daughter, Easton August. It’s now the middle name of the newest Palin, Tripp Easton Mitchell. Easton ranked #351 for boys in 2007.
- Apparently, Vianca is the Spanish version of Bianca. I’ve heard it once or twice, but thought I was misunderstanding. I saw it in writing a few days ago, and I must say, it strikes me as quite glamorous.
- Here’s an absolutely addictive game over at Baby Name Brainstorm. You have three minutes to guess the Top 50 names from the US Social Security Administration’s 2007 list. Play twice – once for boys and once for girls. Or hey, keep playing until your eyes cross!
- Nameberry has a collection of early results for 2008. For those of us who can’t wait ’til May to see the US Top 1000, there are some interesting nuggets of info.
- Lastly, here are Elisabeth’s Top Ten Baby Naming Resolutions for America. Here’s hoping some of them catch on!
You might also notice that I’m dropping the “royal we” in my posts in favor of first person singular. While I’m grateful that many of us share a love of names, the opinions are mine – and the new year seems like a good moment to make the change.