It’s the spookiest time of year, and these are the Halloween baby names that celebrate the season.
Seasonal names work for lots of reasons: they create an automatic shortlist, celebrate a favorite time of year, or just plain express your personal style. Halloween – and fall in general – happens to be my favorite time of the year. While I think names like Autumn are far more mainstream, some amazing choices lean a little bit darker. But that doesn’t make them any less wearable – at least some of them.
Trying to decide if a name is too much? It’s not exactly the same question, but Can I Use This Bad Guy Name for My Baby? might help.
This list of lists rounds up the best of the Halloween baby names lists you might find anywhere online – including Appellation Mountain.
Halloween Baby Names: Things That Go Bump in the Night …
- Bewitching Witch Names, from Antha to Willow and everything in between.
- A long list of Vampire Names, courtesy of The Beauty of Names.
- Nothing Like a Name has all of the Disney villain names.
- Ghosts with good names, at Nameberry.
- Names from The Vampire Diaries and my list of the same.
- A list full of rarities, all inspired by witches from Onomastics Outside the Box. Read Part I here and Part II here.
- Days of May has Buffy on her list. One of my favorite television heroes, ever, so I can’t resist adding her list to mine.
- Love this eclectic list from Baby Name Wizard: Belladonna, Graven, and Morrigan, oh my!
- Which reminds me: this list of Joss Whedon names reminds us of how many possibilities he’s helped launch, like the bewitching Willow. Which takes us back to where we started, so let’s move on …
Halloween Baby Names: Gorgeous & Goth
- Twenty Great Goth Baby Names. I love Tanith and Rook.
- A list of edgy boy names inspired by the season. Though I really don’t know if I could name my son Igor.
- Ages before there was The Vampire Diaries, Gothic soap opera Dark Shadows boosted a handful of names, including Josette and Aristede.
- Surprisingly spooky names given to actual children in the US, at Baby Name Wizard.
- Nocturnal names, dark but so lovely! This list is from Onomastics Outside the Box …
- … but that reminds me, I have a list of Night Owl Names for Girls.
- Nothing Like a Name browses pagan-inspired baby names.
- Samara, Damien, and a few more creepy names from horror movies.
Halloween Baby Names: Some of the Spookiest …
- I love the name Bram for lots of reasons, but Dracula author Bram Stoker puts it on this list.
- Edgar Allan Poe put Annabel on this list, but it’s the creepy doll from the 2014 movie that modern parents think of first.
- The original Sabrina was in fun, but the new reboot is darker. Even though most of the names remain the same, they feel different when I see them on this list. Or is it just me?
- Winifred won the first ever Great Halloween Baby Names Contest in 2017. I don’t think it screams Halloween, but it is the name of Winifred Sanderson, of Hocus Pocus fame.
- Casper comes up all the time, and I think it could wear well – except is the ghost reference a deal-breaker?
Halloween Baby Names: Just for Fun
- Monster High Names, because Cleo and Twyla are too good to keep for just the dolls.
- Thirteen – of course! – baby names inspired by Hocus Pocus.
- Mythical creatures, like Phoenix and Faun.
- These nine names aren’t specific to Halloween – but they sure can inspire some great Halloween costumes!
- Heath, Charleston, and more candy-inspired options.
- The Disney villains! Don’t name your baby Maleficent, but I still think Ursula should be reclaimed.
- Erm … don’t name your baby Morticia. Even though I don’t think it’s meant as a joke on this list.
- Names from the Harry Potter series aren’t exactly Halloween, necessarily. (Though I’d love to attend the October 31st feast at Hogwarts!) But last year’s Great Halloween Baby Name Contest was all about names from the series. Spoiler alert: Arthur and Luna won.
- Hoping this link works here – Ren ran a great name game on Insta. Wednesday Mirabelle and Casper Orion are my favorite combinations. Thanks to Alexia for sharing it!
What are your favorite Halloween baby names? Would you consider any of the names from this list of lists?
This post was published originally on October 11, 2018. Following a revision, it was re-posted on October 14, 2019.