Last week my daughter came home from school with a marvelous paper chicken, feet dangling from orange ribbon, wings fashioned from red tissue paper. She announced, proudly, that her chicken’s name was Sammy, spelled C-M-I-N-O. At 3, she grasps that everything has a spelling, but doesn’t understand the rules.
In the meantime, Aly’s friends have invented a game that involves code names – Nelvis, Cookie, and Fluffy. My kid is Cookie. I don’t understand it, but I love it anyway.
I tell the stories because the more time I spend thinking about names, the more I realize that naming things is really part of the human experience – something we do throughout our lives. Paper crafts and children’s games fade, but for some of us, the fascination remains.
- It seems like the rumors about Blue Ivy are true!
- While we’re on color names, did you see Dantea’s list? Tyrian is daring, and Jasper is now established as a go-to choice for the stylish.
- The Herald Sun mentioned Axl. So did Laura Wattenberg. and I spotted a microbrewery in Michigan selling brews named Axl and Brik – inspired by The Middle, maybe? More signs that we’re less conservative with our sons’ names than ever.
- I’ve long loved Seth, a name on his way out. But could the Dutch Sem replace him? He combines the sound of Sebastian with the brevity of Max – plus he’s #1 in the Netherlands.
- Helix for a boy – part-Felix, part-Henry, completely over-the-top.
- Speaking of Felix, he’s one of the big climbers in New Zealand.
- Clotilde, Ulrike, Bruno – Zeffy’s post makes me want to be a Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
- What do you think of Calixto? I love it for a girl. Rowan is right about the 1970s, I think – there’s lots there, from Ilse to Jolyon.
- With as many times as I’ve been to Disney World, I didn’t realize that the murderous bride in The Haunted Mansion is named Constance. But Lou did! That’s it – Constance is officially in the top eight for my fictional octuplet set …
That’s all for today. As always, thank you for reading. And be sure to stop by Nameberry tomorrow for more, including lots of talk about celebrity names!